Sunday, January 23, 2022

What is a Lapidary

What is a lapidary

 I am a lapidary which means I hand cut my own gemstones.  Having enjoyed cutting gemstones for many years, I have crystal and cabochons to sell.  Also rough stone - which is the rocks before they are cut into cabochons. do you know any  friends whom are jewelry designers or jewelry store owner?  I work with rock lovers al over the world. 

definition  Lapidary

 

Here is a Unakite boulder in the quarry where I have collected some rough in NY state.  The travel mug in this pic is about 10" tall to show perspective. The boulders are over 3 feet tall.  The blue rocks on the left side are mostly calcite.
 


 7 Steps to make a cabochon

  1. select a rock
  2. cut a slab form the rock
  3. decide  the shape of the cabochon & draw it
  4. trim the slice around the lines
  5.  dop the trimmed piece
  6. start cutting the cab
  7. polish the cab
Michigan Kona dolomite slab.  This is a piece of the selected rock cut into a slice.  This is a slab or a slice from the rock.(step 2)   Imagine the rock as a home made loaf of bread cut into slices.  They can be cut whatever thickness I desire.



Black Lives Matter

Free the People ROC is the group in Rochester, NY.   FB page  Free the People ROC

 

Join me:stand up, listen to others, be kind and to support our sisters and brothers.  


#bekind #blacklivesmatter  
#stopasianhate #standup
#listen

Being involved is more that attending a march, make phone calls, VOTE, talk about these rights we have,  help friends VOTE! 




Cabochon (step 7)

On the right, a piece of the Unakite I collected as a finished cabochon.  I went through all 7 steps  to create this cabochon..

My cabochons are free form which meas they are not round, or oval like most of the ones I see for sale.  This makes them unique and OOAK.
OOAK means One of a Kind. Cabochons are also called cabs.

What to do with all these cot gemstones? I sell them to other jewelry designers & collectors.  My focus is on my gemstones and showcasing the beauty in them with my wire designs. 




  Buy Local from the Artist

My shop:  Panda Wear Website
Facebook:  PandaWire Facebook
Twitter:  Panda Wear Gems  
Instagram: Instagram

For every $100 you spend at a local business,  $68 stay in the community.  

 


No comments:

Post a Comment